Financial Aid Directory >> Loan Information
Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Graduate and Professional Students Instructions
Learn more about the Federal Direct PLUS Loan Program by visiting studentloans.gov
Learn more about repayment options for Federal Direct PLUS Loans by visiting direct.ed.gov/calc.html
NOTE: The FAFSA must be completed prior to borrowing a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan.
If you plan to borrow from the Federal Direct PLUS Loan Program, please follow the instructions below. The PLUS Loan application becomes available for the 2013/2014 school year in early May.
|Complete Federal Graduate PLUS Loan Request
"Sign In" using Your Federal Student Aid PIN
Select "Request a Direct PLUS Loan"
Select the loan type "Graduate PLUS" and complete the application
"Complete Master Promissory Note" (If first-time borrower)
The Master Promissory Note (MPN) is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan and any accrued interest and fees to the Department of Education. The MPN also offers details on the terms and conditions of the loan. The request and MPN process takes up to 30 minutes to complete and requires the following:
- Student driver’s license number (if applicable)
- Student email address
- The names, addresses, and phone numbers of two references
- Federal Student Aid PIN (used to complete the FAFSA)
The Federal Direct PLUS Loan online application includes a credit check. The credit approval is valid for 90 days. When a credit check is not approved, other online options are presented in the application process.
Loan Process Overview
- The U.S. Department of Education will notify Notre Dame after the student has completed a Federal Direct Loan Request and signed the MPN.
- Notre Dame will confirm eligibility for the loan with the U.S. Department of Education.
- Student will receive a disclosure statement from the U.S. Department of Education providing specific information about the loan, including loan amount, fees, and the expected disbursement dates.
- Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan funds are disbursed to the student's University account at the start of each term.
- The Office of Financial Aid will notify the student via email when the Federal Direct PLUS Loan funds have been disbursed to the student's University account.
- The PLUS Loan application becomes available in early May for the upcoming academic year. Applications will be accepted throughout the school year. Please allow up to two weeks for processing.
- Loan applications cannot be processed after the school year ends or if the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact our office.
|115 Main Building
|Notre Dame, IN 46556
The University of Notre Dame does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, veteran status, or age in the administration of any of its educational programs, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other school-administered programs or in employment.