Divorced/Separated Parents

Because each family’s financial circumstances are unique, it is the intent of the University’s Office of Financial Aid to carefully review student aid applications individually when determining University assistance. In the case of a divorce or separation, we look to all potential sources of support to determine the ability of the family to contribute toward educational expenses. This philosophy may differ from government expectations, as well as the ruling of a court.

For first-time students, both of the student's natural parents, both custodial parent and noncustodial parents, will complete a CSS Profile at cssprofile.collegeboard.org. The parent information is kept separately and securely and is visible only to the colleges that the student has authorized to receive it. Neither the student nor the custodial parent has access to the noncustodial parent's information unless the noncustodial parent chooses to share his or her password.

In order for a student to receive maximum financial aid consideration, we ask that the student make every attempt to secure this information. In cases where the CSS Profile cannot be completed by the noncustodial parent, the student has the option to complete the Noncustodial Parent Waiver Petition.  Submission of this waiver does not guarantee a waiver of a contribution from the noncustodial parent.

For returning students, only the custodial parent should complete the CSS Profile. If additional information is needed from the noncustodial parent, our office will contact the student directly via email.